Anti-Racism & Anti-Oppression Commitment
Updated July 8, 2020
Bozeman Freedom Pledge
Our Co-op signed the Bozeman Freedom Pledge and is committed to:
- Adopting anti-racist store policies, including anti-racist hiring practices and customer and community relationships.
- Accepting feedback from BIPOC community members with grace and responsiveness
- Ongoing institutional transformation of signee’s institution to combat implicit bias and internalized racism of staff and owners, in the form of staff trainings, conflict mediation, and anti-racist goal setting.
- Supporting ongoing work for Racial Justice in Bozeman and move our community to be more just.
Anti-Racist Learning & Resources
Find a crowd-sourced list of teachers and resources on our website at Anti-Racist Resources
Updated: June 2, 2020
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
As a cooperative business, we were built on the values of equality, equity, social responsibility and solidarity, among others.
Our Co-op strives to be a welcoming and inclusive environment for our staff and community (see our existing statement on diversity, equity and inclusion below).
While we stand in opposition to bigotry, inequality and injustice, we realize there is work to do.
Racist violence, fueled by ignorance and hatred, serves as a stark reminder of the intolerance and oppression that has permeated and shaped our society from the beginning. Many of us can never understand the injustices that harm so many of our neighbors every day, both direct and indirect.
As a Co-op, it is our responsibility to recognize these truths, address our own inaction and get to work.
We are committed to a path of learning and anti-racist work to help dismantle unjust systems and invest in our BIPOC community:
- Supporting organizations leading anti-racist work, including an initial $2,000 donation to the Montana Racial Equity Project
- Donating and delivering 100 hot deli meals to organizers and volunteers of Bozeman's National Day of Black Lives
- Reviewing future giving programs to ensure we include local organizations leading this work
- Providing education, training, resources and books for our staff on diversity, equity, inclusion, anti-racism and anti-oppression
- Challenging our leadership team to acknowledge our biases, question our own assumptions and accept feelings of discomfort through the process
We invite the community to join us in our work:
- Watch for, and contribute to, our list of teachers and resources on our website
- Send your resources to Human Resources Manager Michelle Hintz at [email protected]
- Make a donation to the Montana Racial Equity Project
- Make a donation to Montana State University Black Student Union via the following Venmo link: @BSUatMSU
- Make a donation to Black Lives Matter
Diversity, Inclusion and Equity at our Co-op:
Our aim is to foster a culture where everyone feels valued, supported and inspired to achieve individual and team goals.
This includes providing opportunity and access for all people across differences of race, age, color, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, abilities, political affiliation, veteran status and socioeconomic background.