Full-time position available. Schedule negotiable. One weekend day/week is preferable. Wage DOE.
Purpose: Support and collaborate with the Human Resource Manager and HR Specialists in support of the entire organization. Duties include preparing semimonthly payroll and related reports for the management team; supporting employee benefits administration; supporting recruitment, hiring, and orientation; assisting in document creation/updates; information tracking, and special projects.
Specific Responsibilities of Human Resources Specialist-Payroll
Confidentiality: Due to the sensitive nature of the information dealt with, all job-related information will be held in strictest confidence unless otherwise directed by the General Manager or Human Resources Manager.
- Maintain working knowledge of and follow established CFC policies and procedures.
- Maintain complete confidentiality and professional boundaries regarding all HR department matters including payroll, benefits, and personnel information and issues.
- Maintain working knowledge of HRMS, scheduling software, MS Office Suite, Outlook, and the Co-op’s protocols related to electronic document creation and storage.
- Develop and maintain systems for tracking and reporting on HR processes to both ensure excellent communication and accountability between the HR department and Co-op managers and staff.
- Stay up to date on basic working knowledge of employment law, particularly related to payroll.
- Refer staff and managers to the HR Manager for assistance and guidance outside of explicit responsibilities except when directed otherwise by the HR Manager.
- Keep accurate, complete, up-to-date, secure files related to payroll and benefits-related data.
- Prepare payroll accurately, meeting established deadlines.
- Manage data in timekeeping/scheduling module.
- Manage earnings including, but not limited to, regular hours, holiday and overtime hours, PTO, bonuses, wage changes, and retro pay.
- Manage payroll deductions including, but not limited to, insurance, HSA, 401K, advances, and garnishments.
- Ensure processing of all payroll related funds including, HSA and 401K contributions.
- Maintain payroll checklist and associated instructions, reconciliation worksheet, Personnel Report, Overtime, Bonus and Retro spreadsheets.
- Create last check adjustments, exit notifications, and update staff discounts (POS system).
- Replace lost checks appropriately.
- Obtain information for pay notes from related HR forms.
- Follow procedures for terminating employees in our systems.
- Assist in the administration and maintenance of Co-op benefit programs including but not limited to, health, dental, and vision insurance; HSA; 401k; and Employee Assistance Program; etc.
- Maintain HRMS with up-to-date records of employees.
- Monitor eligibility and reimbursements for various benefits as directed; follow procedures to drop ineligible employees and communicate with TPA and brokers as necessary.
- Maintain knowledge of all benefits to answer staff and manager questions.
- Assist with benefits reporting needs as directed.
Workers Comp and Unemployment Claims
- Process routine staff injury reports for workers’ comp claims.
- Process routine unemployment claims.
- Maintain accurate, complete up-to-date records on both types of claims.
- Complete reports to outside agencies thoroughly and on time.
- Maintain fluency in applicant tracking software and utilize to meet service and efficiency goals in recruiting.
- Conduct recruitment procedures, as directed, to ensure that qualified applicants are hired promptly, following established procedures and employment law, including:
- Conduct new employee orientations (pre and full orientation) to ensure employees have the information and resources they need to successfully navigate the Co-op’s policies and culture.
- Communicate with managers to develop timelines for recruitment for each position, coordinate timing of each process with orientation schedule for efficient use of time.
- Place ads and postings.
- Conduct initial screenings and initial interviews using established procedures.
- Check references as requested by the HR Manager.
- Communicate with managers when candidates are ready for second interviews.
- Acknowledge all applicants in a timely manner.
HR Document Creation and Maintenance
- Create and maintain new documents, tracking and other tools, policies, etc. in collaboration with HR Manager.
- Ensure that all files and all related documents are updated following a revision or new program/system.
- Work with the HR Manager and HR Specialists to maintain up-to-date documents and files for general HR-related documents, including brochures, check-in forms, work agreements, store and staff policies, and others as directed.
- Assist in HR and Black Box document pick-up, administration, and tracking.
- Experience or education in basic HR practices and employment law that demonstrates the ability or aptitude to successfully meet all expectations listed above, strongly preferred. Payroll and benefits experience strongly desired.
- Demonstrated integrity regarding confidential information; ability to exercise good judgment and absolute discretion in handling confidential materials and matters. Ability to understand and operate within professional boundaries related to job duties.
- HRMS or payroll software experience desired, Paycom a plus.
- Fluency using MS Office desired, particularly Word, Excel and Publisher, Outlook, with skills sufficient to communicate and develop and maintain documents with high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem-solve in the absence of management.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time in front of a computer.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business; some early morning, daytime, evening, holiday, and weekend shifts may be required.
- Ability to lift up to 10 lbs. regularly, and up to 30 lbs. occasionally.