Full time position available. Work days are: Tuesday-Saturday. Will be a mix of morning and evening shifts.
Purpose: Manage back of house (BoH) operations, food service production, and staff at Co-op Downtown (CDT) working closely with the Store Manager and Front of House Manager to meet objectives for sales, margins, labor, and service, consistent with organizational goals. Manage, lead, and develop Co-op Downtown food service production and dishwashing staff in the preparation and merchandising of fresh, appealing, healthy food.
Supervises: Cooks and Dishwashers
Status: Full-time; Exempt
Specific Responsibilities of CDT Kitchen Manager
Staff Management and Support
- Oversee implementation of daily operations, staff training and development plans, scheduling, and other identified priorities.
- Oversee Back of House coverage/emergencies with manager(s) on duty, fill shifts as necessary for emergencies.
- Consistently monitor staff attendance and punctuality, report deviations to the CDT Store Manager and follow up with staff according to Co-op policy.
- Plan and create attractive, high-quality daily offerings using available ingredients.
- Ensure that all current production sheet information is regularly and accurately entered and updated in recipe software in a regular, prompt timeframe. Ensure menu information is provided to Food Service Scan Specialists in time to be entered for the Co-op website.
- Ensure that all items are accurately labeled with price and ingredients as needed, working with Food Service Scan and Marketing Departments.
- Develop prep schedules and workflows for all onsite food production.
- Regularly review inventory and waste amounts to accurately assess production levels.
- Ensure production changes, par levels, and ingredient needs are communicated in a timely manner with the CDT purchaser/receiver.
- Working with the CDT Store Manager, recommend recipes, menu offerings, and production levels to the Prepared Foods Team.
- Maintain updated and complete recipes to provide accurate amounts and specific preparation descriptions.
- Ensure all foodservice and dish staff adheres to food safety and sanitation guidelines of the GCCHD.
- Collaborate with Prepared Foods Team Manager, Food Service Director, CDT FoH Manager, and others regarding menu items and production levels in foodservice.
- Manage Dishwasher and Cook daily workflows and workspace organization to meet customer and kitchen needs.
- Maintain current shift checklists, tools, and workflows for Dishwashers and Cooks.
- Ensure systems are in place for upholding food safety for all prepared foods at CDT including:
- Kitchen prep, dish, and food storage areas are maintained in sanitary condition, meeting all health department standards.
- Proper food temperature monitoring, adjustments, and tracking occurs.
- Ensure that product storage, rotation, and labeling procedures are followed, along with regular, scheduled monitoring and recording of cooler temperatures throughout the store.
- With FoH Manager, ensure food service areas, including grab and go, hot bar, soup station, and salad bar, are merchandised and stocked abundantly, and are kept clean and tidy.
- Ensure proper functioning, maintenance, and repair of food service equipment; participate in research and replacement as directed.
- Oversee cleaning tasks, maintenance, and upkeep of all kitchen areas, equipment, and the dishwashing machine.
- Oversee purchasing of cleaning and sanitizing supplies at CDT.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of other CDT departments sufficient to direct operations in the absence of the FOH manager
- Meet with CDT Store Manager to regularly review and prepare work plans.
- Regularly meet with CDT Managers to assess and adjust production and staffing to meet sales levels.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Experience managing staff required, preferably in a food service or retail setting.
- Experience in a food service setting that demonstrates the aptitude to successfully meet all expectations listed above required. Commercial cooking experience required; recipe development and menu planning experience desired.
- Knowledge of proper food handling procedures required.
- Experience working with email and MS Office software sufficient to communicate, and to prepare reports with accuracy and in a timely manner desired.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business; some early mornings, evenings, holiday, and weekend shifts required.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs. throughout shift, occasionally 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand for long periods, bend and twist repeatedly; ability to lift product overhead and/or to climb ladders with product.