Veggie Burger Recipe
May 24, 2016
Recipe courtesy of Adrienne Schroeder, Co-op Member Owner
This weekend, try this recipe for a flavorful veggie burger that won't fall apart on the grill.
- 2 cups lentils, cooked
- 1 egg
- 1 cup portobello mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs*
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup carrots, shredded
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic, grated
- 3 tablespoons oil (for sautéing mushrooms and frying the burgers. I use coconut oil.)
- 2 teaspoons Braggs Liquid Aminos (or tamari or soy sauce)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Dried herbs like thyme, basil, oregano, etc.
*To make the bread crumbs, I just toast a slice or two of gluten-free bread and then put it in the blender to make breadcrumbs.
Cook dry lentils (add 1 cup lentils to 2 cups water and simmer until softened) or use canned lentils.
Once the lentils are cooked and drained, add them to a bowl and squish them with your hands until they are mostly mashed up. Set aside.
Add the oil and the Braggs to a skillet over medium heat and add the grated garlic, onions and portobello mushrooms to the pan. Sauté for about 5 minutes until everything is soft. Add the celery and carrots for a couple of minutes and remove from heat.
Combine the veggies with the lentils and add the remaining ingredients (egg, feta, sunflower seeds and breadcrumbs).
Stir (or mash it again with your hands) to combine everything well.
Form into patties and fry in an iron skillet with a couple tablespoons of coconut oil (or other oil of your choice), over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes on each side.
Makes 4 large veggie burgers or 6 small ones.