Grilled Fruit Kebabs
August 09, 2016
These fruit kabobs are a delicious complement to jerk-spiced chicken or tofu or as as dessert with a scoop of ice cream.
- 1 pound fresh ripe peaches and/or plums, pitted and cut into quarters
- 1 small pineapple (2-3 lbs.), peeled, cored, and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup ginger ale
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, stems removed
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 6 metal or bamboo skewers (soak bamboo skewers in water before using)
Prepare and preheat the grill.
In a small bowl, whisk together the ginger ale, honey, orange juice, oil, brown sugar, allspice, thyme leaves, salt and cayenne pepper, if using.
Thread the fruit onto the skewers and place them on a rimmed sheet pan. Brush the fruit with some of the marinade. When the grill is hot, put the skewers on and grill on each side for 3-4 minutes, glazing the fruit with more marinade every couple of minutes.
Grilled fruit is a flavorful accompaniment to jerk-spiced chicken or tofu, or a special summertime dessert, with a scoop of chocolate or vanilla ice cream.
116 calories, 2 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 123 mg. sodium, 25 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 1 g. protein